...I would argue that it is sometimes the pain in things that make you appreciate them the most... it is my unconditional willingness to endure the middle-of-the-night feedings, the cleaning up of vomit, the screaming for no good reason, etc that makes me realize how much I love my child and love raising him...

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Toddler Sleep Trouble

Zach woke up last night an hour after going to bed crying and carrying on. Normally, we wouldn’t respond to this and would just let him work it out (which usually takes about a minute). This was different… he wasn’t getting it under control, it wasn’t subsiding, and it was just that different sort of cry that clearly indicated that he was upset, not just agitated. So I went to him.
We could not calm him down. He carried on for at least 10 minutes before we went ahead and brought him to our bed for some quiet cuddle time.
I cannot express how out-of-character this is.
After he settled down, he quickly went back to sleep but this wasn’t the only bout like this of the night. He woke up crying a couple more times but both times he (relatively) quickly got it under control to the point that we didn’t go to him.
And my understanding is that I am not alone. I have had a couple other friends indicate some sleep trouble hit around 18+ months. (Zach is 21 months). I don’t really count this a problem yet (being that we have only experienced it one night) but I was still intrigued by this concept of a universal age of sleep regression.
I found this sight most helpful: http://www.babysleepsite.com/
Possible reasons for toddler nighttime waking:
  • Schedule problem (and the site gives suggested toddler schedules that I found interesting… more on that later)
  • Developmental Leap (I am noticing Zach making more efforts with his speech- one can only hope AND he is eating A LOT right now so I wouldn’t be surprised if we were in a growth spurt)
  • Sleep Disorder or Medical Issue (well, let’s hope not but he has been a bit congested)
  • Teething (I like how some people act like teething happens at specific times and isn’t a constant process)
  • Food Allergy Triggered that Day (nothing new in the diet yesterday)
  • Hunger (Ummm it would have to be pretty bad for me to offer him a snack- I’m THAT mean mom down the block)
 So there is my assessment- I think growth spurt/developmental leap. We shall see.
What I found so interesting about the schedules was this: I never knew of suggested toddler schedules but yet we have basically naturally fallen into one. There were three schedules suggested: 2 naps, 1 nap, and No naps. Zach isn’t much of a napper so I was like… “oh jeez, I am going to feel like a terrible mother because they are going to require a nap,” but they gave me a "no nap" out! They even suggest quiet time in place of a nap and WE DO THAT!
So, Mother-of-the-Year Award- HERE I COME!
As for the sleep trouble of my little one, fingers crossed that tonight goes better. Yet another instance in child rearing where I am not in control. What the heck!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment