...I would argue that it is sometimes the pain in things that make you appreciate them the most... it is my unconditional willingness to endure the middle-of-the-night feedings, the cleaning up of vomit, the screaming for no good reason, etc that makes me realize how much I love my child and love raising him...

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Other People's Opinions

“Thank you for that.” I find myself thinking that so often lately as I am walking away from yet another conversation where someone is asking me questions about whether my 21 month old is talking or not. And I mean it in a snarky/ sarcastic way. Because while I get that it comes from a good place it always just serves to make me feel like they think that I’m in denial. I have actually had people say to me, “well, at least you’re not in denial.”
Ummm do I seem like that person… the denial person. No. I’m the worry too much person. I am the high strung, can’t "just let it happen" person. I am the googling a blemish person. You really thought I might be in denial. That is offensive.
How about you not worry because you know, I’ve got this. How about you be surprised when I tell you that he is a little slow in his speech because YOU wouldn’t even think about something like that because you were so busy loving on my little boy who is the most joyful, charismatic person I’ve ever met. THAT is how you can support ME.
Now, don’t get me wrong… I don’t mind the asking. Maybe asking… “how are you feeling about this.” And then really listen to my ad nauseum ponderings on this topic because YOU KNOW I think about it ALL THE TIME.  Or maybe, when it comes up and I say he’s a little behind, “maybe, but I know you are watching and will provide what he needs.” Constructive comments that make me feel positive about the situation moving forward. Reassuring me that I’m a good mom. Curiosity doesn’t bother me- negativity and underestimating my parenting does. Keep that in mind. 
Stop worrying about my child. Believe me. I worry enough for everyone.
 Just enjoy him.

No comments:

Post a Comment