...I would argue that it is sometimes the pain in things that make you appreciate them the most... it is my unconditional willingness to endure the middle-of-the-night feedings, the cleaning up of vomit, the screaming for no good reason, etc that makes me realize how much I love my child and love raising him...

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Normalcy after the Holidays

Whew! We’re home. The company has left. Decorations are being (slowly) put away. Gifts have found their new homes. We are recovering from the holidays.
But our children don’t share in the same holiday responsibilities we have so they are fine… right… NO! They have received entirely too much attention. Gotten spoiled. Been held more than would seem humanly possible. And generally been validated in their thought that they are the center of the universe. And now it’s back to reality and, especially for particularly young children, this is not as easy as it may seem. We must enter the reprogramming zone.
I have said it before and I will say it again, one of my best mommy friends says that it takes right around two weeks for (her child but I generalize it to)children to adjust to new routines. The child must readjust to the reality of your family. Perhaps that means back to being an only child, being at home, being at school, bed time, having independent play time, etc. Generally this naturally happens but one area that is particularly difficult for me as a parent is the reintroduction of rules that, pre-holidays, had been readily accepted and followed and now are like, as the old adage goes, pulling teeth.
Yes, Zach, we do have to brush our teeth before bed. Yes, Zach, it is better to go down the slide feet first. No, Zach, doing somersaults down the stairs is still dangerous. No, Zach, cookies for dinner are still not acceptable. Yes, Zach, clothes are required.
Sometimes I lose hope and begin to think the constant battles back to normal will be a forever fight but I have to remember that this is a phase and will pass. My son is confused. The consistency I am providing in reestablishing the rules he knows (and I like to think that he loves them… helps me sleep at night) is slowly giving him a sense of peace and comfort that comes in a controlled, safe environment.
So I will tolerate the tantrums. I will stand firm. The pouty lip WON’T turn me to mush. I can do this. I can be the parent. And normalcy WILL return…
I hope.

1 comment:

  1. One tradition we have at our house during the Advent season is the Advent chocolate calendar...G still asks everyday if he can have a piece of chocolate and I have to explain, yet again, that the daily chocolate is over...it's tough getting back to normal!

    ReplyDelete